My kids are 12 and 7 now, so we’ve been doing the crazy morning routine for school for 8+ years and let me tell you, mornings have not always been a breeze. We have had some time to discover what works best to make our mornings run a little smoother. I’m going to share some tips with you today from our experience and to hopefully help get your mornings off to a great and efficient start, 5 Ways to Simplify Your Morning Routine.
5 Ways to Simplify Your Morning Routine
- Start Bedtime Before Actual Bedtime – Cohen’s bedtime is 7:30 (and he can read until 8), which means that bedtime technically begins at 7. Shower, brush teeth, bathroom, bed and then read either with one of us or on his own. This helps us to get him in bed by 7:30 still. Plenty of extra time for when he’s being stubborn or screwing around. Rather than starting 10 minutes before bedtime and then him ending up finally crawling into bed at 8 and still wanting to read.
- Pick Out Clothes the Night Before – Since the time Brookelyn was in preschool this way one of our biggest morning time savers, to have her clothes picked out the night before. As soon as Cohen started preschool we did the same with him. I remember doing this often as a kid too. It just saves time in the morning, especially when they can’t decide what to wear (I have two very picky kids). On days when I haven’t done any laundry in a while, I’m especially thankful for this step! I’d much rather throw a quick load in the wash at night, than have to worry about what I’ll do when we realize they have no clean undies just before school!
- Get Things in Order the Night Before – Each day after dropping Cohen at school I head to the gym. Along with making sure that the kids are ready in the morning, I need to get myself ready for the gym. Each evening I get my smoothie ingredients ready in the fridge or pick out my Plenti Oatmeal (meets Greek Yogurt) and fill my water bottle. I put my clutch, hoodie, gloves and keys all in one spot, ready to grab and go. In the morning it’s so easy for me to grab my Plenti Oatmeal & water bottle from the fridge and eat on the way to the gym. There are no dishes to be done after I eat breakfast and that might be one of the greatest things about grabbing a Plenti in the mornings! And with 16 grams of whole grains and 11 grams of protein, I’m fueled and ready for my workout.
- Start to Make Lunches the Night Before – Starting to see a routine here? When the kids learn good habits like this, it’s so helpful. My kids do most of this after they empty their lunch pails upon arriving home from school each day. Sandwiches are made, veggies are cut and put into containers, left-overs are packaged, whatever the main course of their meal will be is prepared the night before. This way, in the morning each kid just has to grab it out of the fridge, pick a fruit, a vegetable, a protein and a snack (usually popcorn, or crackers) and toss them in their lunch. Easy peasy and they can do it all on their own.
- Give Yourself Time – Possibly the hardest of the five tips I’ve shared here. If you’re anything like me, that 5 extra minutes of sleep might as well be 30 because it feels like it! However, those 5 precious minutes could make a huge difference in your morning routine. You can get a lot done in 5 minutes, some dishes, laundry started or maybe you’ll need them to wake an overly tired kid, or one who is moving way too slow for a school morning. So give yourself those extra 5, because they might make all the difference in your morning.
There’s a coupon waiting for you, so definitely check out the new Plenti Oatmeal Meets Greek Yogurt when you get a chance. The flavors are all delicious and you’re sure to find one that you love! My favorite is the Apple Cinnamon. And it fills me up plenty whether I eat it before or after a workout.
I hope that these 5 Ways to Simplify Your Morning Routine are helpful to you! I’d love to know if you have more tips to add!